Sunday, January 9, 2011

Short White Robes

For Christmas this year, Joel got me a spa package at LaJames, a local massage and cosmetology school.  *side note - I've gone to LaJames a few times for massages and facials.  They're done by students so you end up getting a longer treatment for less $*  They have a package deal where you can pick 3 spa treatments from their "menu" (really?  a menu?  It's not like I'm ordering a steak!).  So I chose a glycolic peel, hot stone massage, and sea weed wrap.  All 3 were going to be new experiences for me.  Yea, me.

So I get there and get taken back for the glycolic peel.  I knew it was a type of facial so I was looking my personal best with absolutely no make-up and my hair thrown back in a headband.  Yep, I was attractive.  Hillary, my student-worker gave me a little white wrap thing and a robe and told me to get changed.  So I strip down and put on the wrap.  Really?  Apparently it's made for someone who is less than 5'3".  Now, I'm almost 6' tall.  So as I'm standing there, I'm showing a LOT of thigh.  I quickly throw on the robe thinking that'll cover my very white, very prickly legs (yep, forgot to shave that morning...oops).  Uh...no.  The robe was only a smidgen longer than the wrap.  *sigh*  Whatever, it's fine.  I'm just going to enjoy this morning of relaxation.  Hillary comes back in and does the peel.  It was marvelous.  I truly had no idea what it was when I booked it but it looked interesting.  It made my skin soft as a baby's butt.

Next was the hot stone massage.  I was thinking Hillary would just take me to a different massage room to wait for the massage therapist.  Silly me.  I had to go to a main waiting room.  Now, remember I'm still wearing my short white robe.  And I'm even looking better now that my face is all shiny from the peel and my hair is sticking up in all sorts of directions.  Lovely.  Oh and the best part?  On my feet were my snow boots.  That truly completed the outfit.  So as I sat down I kept trying to tug the robe down to cover a little more of my legs, all the while people are staring at me.  Finally the massage therapist came to save get me.  The hot stone massage was actually wonderful.

The sea weed wrap was...interesting.  I envisioned literal sea weed being wrapped about my arms and legs.  Instead is was like a watery mixture that was painted on my skin.  I had to lie down on a table that was covered in plastic.  I felt a little like a science experiment.  Oh and the best part?  It was freezing cold!  She had warned me it might be cool.  Really?  Cool?  It felt like ice cubes were being spread all over my body!  Then I was wrapped in more plastic wrap (yep, felt like I was on an episode of Dexter), a thermal thing, then blankets.  After 20 minutes of feeling like a mummy, it was all taken off.  Weird.  I'm not exactly sure what the point of the sea weed was but my skin did feel softer afterward.

Finally I was able to change back into my own clothes.  I was so sick of that stupid wrap and robe.  Next time I may just bring my own!!  At least then I wouldn't have to worry about showing a little too much skin.  Still, I had a very relaxing time so I'll have to overlook my embarrassing robe experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment