Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Let me just say...

So since this is my blog, I can rant about whatever I want, right?  That's my theory anyway.  So here's what's been bugging me these past few days.  To be fair, this has been bugging me for the past few months but it because worse during the Christmas season.  You'll see why...

Lately it seems that all my friends are selling things.  Now when I say friends, I really mean people-I-barely-know-but-seem-to-think-we're-bosom-buddies.  In the past few weeks, I have been invited to more parties and open houses than I know what to do with!  I got an invitation the other day from someone I used to talk to regularly but life happened and we've drifted apart.  When I opened the invitation I thought "awesome!  I really wanted to get connected with ______ again".  Nope, it was just an generic invitation to one of those parties where it's really just a sales pitch.  Nice.  Now, I've gone to some Pampered Chef parties and had a wonderful time.  I've even bought some other their products and been quite happy.  But call it what it is!  Don't invite me thinking it's going to be some great bonding experience.  Let's face it.  You'll say you're going to call but we both know you won't.  It'll turn into some sad teenage after-school special where I'm the pathetic loser-girl clinging to the hope you really do love me.

Here's what I think every time I get an invitation...
Mary Kay - so you're saying I'm ugly and need a makeover?  No?  So I just have bad skin?  Thanks.  (I actually use Mary Kay and really love it, just not the parties!)
31-gifts - huh?  Are there only 31 gifts to buy?  Because that's going to be a boring party.  And do I really need more gifts?
Pampered Chef - I am not a chef, nor am I pampered.  Enough said
Random food/spice/drink - my life is complicated enough without a lecture on how the foods I eat are causing my spleen to work too hard.  And it's how much?  Child, I could feed a 3rd world country for a month with that amount of money.
Longeberger Baskets - nope, don't need any of those.  I'm not one of the doily ladies quite yet.

Bottom line...I love parties and get-togethers to catch up with old friends and make new ones.  I do not however, like sales pitches camouflaged as a "party".  Not cool.  It's false advertising.

2 comments:

  1. You crack me up Sara!! note to self... Do not invite Sara Jernstad to any lame parties (as long as you promise to not invite me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't agree with you more, Sara. Dave and I decided long ago that I will not participate in these "parties". Frankly, I got a little bitter about them when I was attending them to support the mom who wanted to stay home with her kids when my heart was ACHING to be able to stay home. And you're point blank obligated to buy something. I don't know why it's unacceptable to say "I came, but didn't get sold on anything. So, I'm not going to buy anything."
    People come up with these wonderful career opportunities, but they are doing nothing more than preying on their poor friends.

    ReplyDelete