Monday, November 1, 2010

seriously?

So, Noah has a heart murmur.  Seriously?  What the heck??  I took him to his 18-month well baby check-up today.  He's had croup twice in the last month so as the doctor listened to Noah in different positions, I thought he was checking Noah's lungs.  Nope.  Apparently if a murmur is heard, changing positions will cause the murmur to either go away or stay.  Noah's stayed.  So that means it's worth checking into.  Really?  *sigh*  This was not on my radar.  Noah's never had a murmur before so the fact that he does now raised enough of a red flag for further testing.  

I had a heart murmur as a child.  I grew out of it.  The doctors did some tests on me but everything was fine.  I know heart murmurs aren't exactly rare.  I totally get that.  But this is my son.  He's my little bubba.   I can't even imagine the cardiologist saying there's something seriously wrong with him.  My brain can't comprehend it.  Somewhere in the shadows of my brain, I realize that our appointment with the cardiologist could be the worst day of my life.  I left the pediatricians office today thinking "hey, it's fine.  No big deal.  This is why there are pediatric cardiologists around."  I had to call Joel and give him the news.  He didn't take it quite as calmly.  So that started me freaking out a little. We see a pediatric cardiologist next Wednesday, 11/10.  It's some random doctor with a million letters in his name.  Noah will have his heart listened to for a longer period of time then an ultrasound will be done to visualize the chambers and valves.  Even though I'm an ultrasound tech, I'm not trained in cardiac ultrasound so I will have no clue what's on the screen.  I'm kinda hoping I know the tech (ultrasound is a small world) so I can terrorize ask nicely for results.

3 comments:

  1. Are you seeing someone with IA Health?? Just curious.
    We'll be praying for you guys...it's easy for me to say alot of kids have/develop murmurs, but it's different when it's your child... ya know what I mean, right???
    Anyway....We are praying for you and Joel...and for Noah's apptmnt...I'm sorry he got croup again! what a time you've had with that gunk!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you have to live with wondering for a week, I know it will be hard to stay calm and not be stressed about it. We are all praying for you guys and Noah that it will be nothing and everybody will be healthy soon and no more croup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Abby and Laura! Abby, we're seeing Dr. Chandramouli with Pediatric Cardiology, PC. It's somewhere by Mercy, that's all I know. I'll have to google the address before we go. I'm really not that worked up about it. I know murmurs are not uncommon at all. It's just very much different when it's MY baby.

    ReplyDelete