Sunday, October 31, 2010

The boring and senseless...

I used to hate football.  I thought it was the most boring and senseless game in the entire world.  Why would men want to run around and tackle each other, all to get a little ball to their end zone?  Seriously?  What's the point?  Then I had a son.  Noah will run around, tackle his sister, giggle like a girl, the run around again...all for no other reason than he loves it!  It's amazing to watch.  I don't think that's the reason I now enjoy watching football.  I guess I just enjoy watching the strategy of a well-executed play, the iron will to push through a crowd to gain one yard.  I don't have a favorite team.  I usually just go for the underdog.  Or whoever has the saddest story.  I'm a shmuck for a sob story.

Friday night, we went to a Fall Carnival at a local church.  It was so much fun.  There were inflatables (aka. bouncy castles), hay bale mazes, face painting, games, and lots of snacks and drinks.  And it was all free!  Joel even won a $25 gift certificate to a really good seafood restaurant here in Ankeny.  The fire department brought a fire engine for a little while for the kids to look at.  Hannah thought that was the best thing in the entire world.  Why is that?  Because it's red and shiny?  She was fascinated.

I wish our church did something like that.  I'm torn.  Joel and I really like our church but the kids programs are somewhat lacking.  There are a ton of kids in our church.  Seriously, more than adults.  And most are pretty young.  Yet it seems like there are more programs for the older kids and adults than for the little kids.  Maybe I notice it more because my kids are so little and there's nothing to be offered to them.  Then there are other churches that have amazing kids' programs and do lots of community outreaches to show how great their kids' programs are but their pastor isn't as good as ours.  So what's more important?  Ugh.  It's too much for my brain to comprehend so I will just watch football on TV and Noah tackling Hannah in our living room. :)

1 comment:

  1. More programs would be great, but with not enough people even volunteering to work in the the younger kids classrooms on Sunday morning, its hard to think we would get enough people to volunteer to make more fun outreach programs for younger kids work. We did get Awana's started for the younger kids and lots of kids come....so maybe they can add more things as the leadership is assured people will help out and come.

    ReplyDelete