Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My job

So I am a sonographer. (AKA: ultrasound tech, jelly-girl, glorified photographer) I have no idea what exactly made me choose this as my profession. The basic story is that I knew I wanted to do something in the medical field (my parents are both nurses and my brother is a pharmacist). I knew I did not want to be a nurse and I didn't have the desire to be in school for 8 years to be a doctor so I had limited options. My dad asked one of his doctors what was a good medical job and ultrasound came up. There happened to be a college in Des Moines that offered ultrasound...and the rest is history.

I graduated in 2001 then got a job at Iowa Methodist Hospital where I worked for 2 years then transferred to Iowa Lutheran for 3 years before getting a job at The Iowa Clinic where I still am.

I think most people think all I do is scan babies all day long. Ummm...no. In fact, OB ultrasound is one of my least favorite exams. Why, you ask? Well, let me tell count the ways.

1. I hate it when couples bring their kids with them then expect me to watch the kids while I'm scanning the baby. Uhh...doesn't work that well. I've had kids getting into all the supplies, reaching for the sharps container, digging in the garbage...it's annoying and frustrating. It's not like Finding Nemo.
2. I can feel my blood pressure rising with teenage girls come in with their little friends and are all excited about being 16 and pregnant, not having any idea what they're in for. All they can think about it how they're going to dress up the baby and what to name them. Yep, have fun bringing that child to prom, sweety. It's very frustrating.
3. More times than I can count I've been asked if I can narrow down the conception date so the mom can figure out who the father is. The best is when I give them a 5 day window and they ask for a narrower window. That's called a paternity test, my dear.
4. When the parents are more concerned with the gender of the baby than if their baby is normal, it's very frustrating. I had one father demand that I tell him the gender of the baby within the first few minutes of the exam or they weren't going to pay.
5. I have to bite my tongue when larger girls come in to be scanned and then complain because the image isn't clear. Now, I like my meat and potatoes just like all true Iowa girls :), but there comes a point where the sound waves get confused and can't go deep enough to penetrate. It's basic physics.
6. Last but not least...the biggest reason I hate doing OB ultrasounds is that every time I have to tell a woman that her baby has died, it kills a little piece of me.

So, I was lucky enough to get a job where I do a little of everything. Kidneys, livers, gallbladder, thyroids, breasts, OB, and yes...scrotums. It keeps me on my toes. I think by doing a little of everything I keep up my skills and I don't get so burned out doing the same thing over and over again. I love what I do. There's good and bad parts, just like any job. But all in all, I chose the right career for me and I'm happy....just don't bring your kids to your OB ultrasound!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment