Sunday, March 27, 2011

My hatred of Strawberry Shortcake

When I was younger, I shared a bed with my big sister Salli.  It was a double bed and since we were all of 5 and 7-years-old, the bed was plenty big for the two of us.  Many nights Salli and I would snuggle under our Strawberry Shortcake canopy bed and fall asleep.  Everything in our room as Strawberry Shortcake.  The bedding, the curtains, even the garbage can.  We loved Strawberry Shortcake with her pretty red curls and big smile.  And she loved us too, we just knew it!

One night Salli didn't feel so well.  Our mom took her temperature, gave her some medicine and sent her to bed.  I crawled into bed with her and promptly fell asleep, dreaming of strawberries and shortcake.  Later that night Salli woke up.  She knew she was going to be sick.  She must have wanted to leave everyone else sleeping so she figured she'd just roll over and throw up.  Quite logical to a 7-year-old.  In her feverish delirium, she failed to realize which side was what.  Out came the barf...right on my head.  Yep, my wonderful sister threw up on top of me then immediately rolled over and fell back to sleep.  My mother heard the retching and came running into our room.  Imagine her dismay when Salli is fast asleep and I'm covered in vomit.  So in the middle of night, I had to have a bath and the sheets needed to be changed.  Suddenly Strawberry Shortcake didn't look so great.  Every time I looked at her, visions of vomit came rushing back.  I was scarred.  

And that's how I ended up with vomit in my hair and my hatred of all things Strawberry Shortcake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment