Sunday, August 29, 2010

The 5K Experience

I did it! I actually ran a 5K. I amaze myself sometimes. I was doubting myself the few days leading up to the run. I hesitate to call is a "race" because it's not like I'm trying to win. Let's face it, just finishing the race is enough for me.

So the day was perfect. My run started at 7:15am so it was still cool and low humidity. I had been worried that it was going to be super hot and super humid even that early. Running in humidity isn't fun. I feel like I can't breathe! Not a good feeling. I was planning on getting to the race about 6:30 so I'd have time to go pee and stretch. However, after getting lost in downtown Minneapolis after dropping off Joel, Aaron, and Salli at their 1/2 marathon starting spot, I didn't get to the starting line until 7:00am. Luckily, I still had time to pee. Stretching, not so much. I made sure to be near the back of the crowd so I wouldn't get trampled too early on. And off I went. The first 1/2 mile wasn't too fun because my muscles were a tad tight. After that it was pretty good. Until mile 2.5. Someone moved Mt Everest to Minneapolis. I turned a corner and WHAM. There's it was. Mt. Everest. And who should be there squatting at the bottom of the mountain? A photographer. Seriously? Who wants to be photographed while hot and sweaty. It was like a bad paparazzi. He wasn't even trying to hide. As I was contemplating the best way to scale the mountain, the guy snapped my picture. (I was e-mailed the picture later. I look annoyed. However, I was wearing my super comfy ESPRIT t-shirt circa 1994 so that was pretty awesome to see) About 1/2 way up the mountain/hill I realized my feet were moving but I wasn't going anywhere! So I had to walk up the dumb thing. Once I got past that, it was just another 1/2 mile or so to the finish line.

My time was pretty good, for my first race. I had a goal in my head of what my time would be. I beat it by 3 minutes. My next run is in October but I'm going to try to run another one in September. There's always random 5K races going on every weekend. I still can't say I love running. I don't, nor do I think I ever will. However, I'm getting a little better at it. I ran 3.5 miles the other day and I didn't die. That's quite an accomplishment for me! :)

1 comment:

  1. Great job Sara!! Keep it up......you will learn to like the running. Well maybe tolerate it.

    ReplyDelete