Sunday, November 13, 2011

Observations while drugged up

I've been sick for the past few days.  Actually almost a week now.  I don't think I've been this sick since I was a kid, if even then!  The funny thing is that I'm probably in the best shape I've been in for years so why the heck is my immune system taking a nose dive?  Just to mess with me, I'm sure.  So I happened to have a doctor's appointment on Thursday for another random reason so I mentioned my racking cough and sleepless nights.  My doctor listened to my lungs while I had another coughing fit, then announced that I have bronchitis.  Lovely.  On a brighter note, I got me some drugs.  :)

I'm on a medley of medications to get the coughing and infection under control.  Meds mess with my head.  While I enjoy the feeling of breathing without pain, it's an odd feeling to feel disconnected from my body.  I imagine this is what it feels like to be high, but since I've never been...I digress.

I'm very fortunate to have a mother that lives close by.  When I mentioned that I was sicker than a dog and Hannah was starting to get sick to, she swooped in a snatched up Noah for the day.  Ahhh...it was lovely.  I could sleep and rest without a 2-year-old boy jumping up and down on my head.

I also made some weird observations.  I blame the medication for these.


  • The kitchen is farther away from my bedroom than the North Pole is to the South.  I know because I measured it.  I swear it's farther.
  • Why do drug companies make pills so large the only people that can swallow them are those with abnormally large throats?  And then just when you think you'll either cut it half or crush it, you see on the bottle written in bold type SWALLOW WHOLE, DO NOT CRUSH.  Why?  Is the drug less effective?  Will the drug police come crashing down my door and arrest me for disobeying the label?  
  • Dogs are annoying to have plastered to your side while you're trying to get some rest.  As soon as I'd find a comfortable position, one where I could breathe without coughing, Bella would start moving around and mess up the covers.  Then she'd get comfortable but I wasn't.
  • Bella's body temperature is approximately 250 degrees.  I'd finally fall asleep after hours of tossing and turning only to wake up sweating.  At first I thought maybe I was breaking a fever.  But no, it was the dog.  She was hotter than a furnace and smashed up against my body.  And if I try to move her away she'll just wiggle her way back over to me.  
  • Makeup is overrated.  When I was feeling icky and pukey, the last thing I wanted to do was put on makeup, therefore going from looking like death to looking like a death with smokey eyes.  
I'm glad to say that I am now on the mend.  The antibiotics are finally taking effect and the cough medicine is working.  I'm still coughing and loopy but at least I'm not contagious.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment