Wednesday, August 24, 2011

First week of Kindergarten!

Hannah started kindergarten last week.  She's going to a public school here in Ankeny.  If you haven't read about our agonizing decision of where to send her for school, click here.

The night before her first day was rough for me.  I cried and worried that Hannah would be scared, she'd not eat her lunch, she'd have to go potty and not tell anyone...ya know, normal mom worries.  Joel quickly made fun of me reminded me that Hannah is perfectly safe at school and Kindergarten teachers love kids.  They've seen it all, done it all, dealt with it all.

So the first day of school came.  Her school day starts at 7:55am.  (Why the heck they don't just make it an even 8am, I have no clue!).  Joel told his work he'd be a little late so he could come with me to drop her off.  We got there about 7:45, along with about a thousand other kids and parents!  It was chaotic slightly insane.  After getting Hannah to her locker (yes, she has a locker in kindergarten!), we took her to her classroom.  Now at this point, it was madness in the hallways.  The kindergarten wing is wonderful in that it's just a hallway with the 5 class rooms right there.  There aren't a million older kids pushing and shoving their way through.  I think I would have gone all mama bear on some 5th grader if he had pushed my baby.

So we go to the classroom and of course, Hannah has to pee.  *sigh*  Luckily there's a bathroom right in the room (it's like the designers knew kindergartners pee a lot!).  After that was finished, she was thrilled to see her one friend in the class was there and saving a seat for her right next to him!  She was all shades of excited at that point.  We quickly said our goodbyes and off we went.  I stood at the door for a minute to make sure she didn't start crying.  Nope.  She was fine.  Really?  Is it too much to ask that my child be a little sad that she'd leaving mommy for an entire day/5 days a week!?

Noah had a rough time that first day.  He cried and cried wanting "hehe" to come back.  He kept grabbing my phone to look at the picture of Hannah I have as my wallpaper.  My poor baby.

So now Hannah's been in school for a week and a half.  There are some mornings she really doesn't want to go, but she's loving it.  She's so tired though!  Usually once a week, she goes to bed about a hour earlier than normal.  On the weekend, she needs a nap.  I'm amazed at how quickly she's learning.  Her teacher is amazing, making learning fun.  It's like she has a college degree in elementary ed or something.  Oh wait...she does.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment