Monday, January 25, 2016

Another project...

Before we moved to our new house I knew the kids needed new dressers.  Hannah was using my old one from when I was a kid and it was quickly falling apart.  Noah was still using his old changing table at we had bought new when Hannah was born.  So, it was small and almost 10 years old. 


Because we're cheap and didn't want to spend $500 for a single dresser at a furniture store, I decided to try out my painting ability.  I had already gotten some practice on staining the kitchen cabinets, so I thought maybe I'd try painting this time.  After researching a bunch more blogs, I decided milk paint was the way to go.  What's milk paint, you ask?  No it doesn't have milk in it (I may or may not have believed that for a while).  Here's the definition.  Basically it's amazing paint.  Because I loved the gel stain from General Finishes, I decided to stick with that company and try out their milk paint.  I was impressed with their color selections


After much deliberation I decided on Antique White for the color.  I wanted a very 'boring' color so it wouldn't clash with their room colors.  And as their styles changed I didn't want to have to repaint them. 


So with that decision made I started scouring Craigslist for cheap dressers in need of TLC. 

I found this beauty and it's matching tall dresser.  It also had a mirror attached.



While I was at it I decided to find a headboard/footboard for Hannah's new full size bed.  And that's how I came to own this beauty.

So then the fun began. 


As with my last post, here's the steps I used::


1) clean that wood with a good cleaner/degreaser like Krud Kutter or something similar.  Since these items had never been in a kitchen a dregreaser wasn't as important, but I had it on hand so that's what I used. Again I'm cheap frugal
2) Degloss.  I used the same product I did for the kitchen cabinets since I had it on hand and it worked so well for the cabinets.  Sanding is only necessary if you find a rough spot on the wood.
3) Paint away.  Let me mention something here.  If your wood is very dark and you're trying to paint it a light color, you must use a primer first!  For the bed, the wood was so light I didn't bother with a primer.  However, for the dark dressers, I did prime first.  I used a product called Stix.  Amazing product.  I linked the product on Amazon, but you can find it locally too.  I'm pretty sure I bought it at The Woodsmith Store. It literally sticks to anything.  The base of the dressers were real wood, but the tops were particle board.  It was imperative to use a product that would adhere to the glossy particle board. 

Making progress.  Those ball things were a bear to paint!
4) I would suggest 2 coats of color followed by a sealer.  I used the General Finishes Top Coat in Satin finish.  It was great.  But you can use whatever finish you like.  They make flat, semi-gloss, glossy.  Lots of options. 
5) DONE!  Let dry for at least 24 hours and cure for about a week before adding knobs or using for clothes/bedding.

The dresser.  I really liked the detail on the first drawer.  We have since added knobs.


The mirror before we hung it on the back of the dresser.  Ignore the mess in the background.  This was in our apartment as we were trying to pack/move. 



Finished headboard
Hannah's bed with the finished headboard/footboard.
So, that's what I did for their beds/dressers.  I think I spend a total of $150 on all the furniture from Craiglist.  And then the paint, which wasn't too expensive.  I think I spent about 15 hours total on the painting.  But since I enjoy doing it, I didn't mind it.  It's relaxing to me.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment