Thursday, June 20, 2013

Acupuncture

4 years ago I was overdue with my son and ready to strangle my husband for impregnating me.  Yes, I had a part in it, but when you're 41 weeks pregnant and waddling like a duck, the rational part of your brain has taken a leave of absence.  So my chiropractor/doula suggested acupuncture to get things moving along.  My first thought was "that's voodoo medicine".  Why would I want to pay someone to poke needles in my body when I'm sure Joel would do it for free??  Well, since I was miserable and ready to try anything, I did it.  Low and behold, my son was born in the wee hours of the next morning after the easiest, quickest labor.  I loved it.

Fast forward to yesterday.  I decided to do it again.  Not because I'm pregnant (or plan on ever being again...2 is enough for me!) but because since my son's birth, my hair has been falling out.  I used to have super lush, thick hair.  Now it's thin and scalp is showing through.  My thyroid doesn't work properly which is the main culprit.  After trying several different shampoos and home-remedies, I decided to try acupuncture again.  Yesterday was day 1.  Today was another treatment.  I was shocked to feel a difference so quickly!  My acupuncturist isn't focusing on my scalp per say, but instead focusing on other parts of my body that have 'blockages'.  I feel much more energized, I slept better last night, and my foot that has been swollen for 14 years (after a bad break) is starting to look normal again.  (Side note:: I've tried many different doctors and therapies on my foot, but to no avail.  The last podiatrist I saw told me to just learn to live with it...not a happy day).  

Acupuncture isn't for everyone but I am very happy with the results so far.  I go back on Monday for the big 'scalp treatment'.  In other words, my scalp will look like a pin cushion.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment